Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Otis Redding-'Shake' (1966)

I still haven't heard the new re-issue, Otis Redding & His Orchestra-Live on the Sunset Strip, that was released a couple months ago. I do long for it.....

I have the Stax/Volt Revue: Live in Norway DVD from 1967 that has the amazing Stax line-up (Mar-Keys, Booker T & the MG's, Sam & Dave) in its prime. That remastered and remixed recording sounds extraordinary. Headliner Otis definitely has the stand out performance that one would expect from this soulful master of R&B. It is truly a shame that he perished so young (at 26) in a plane crash that killed 4 others from his band.



Just listen to these guys play. Its phenomenal.

I once had this shit cranked way the hell up one day when I was living with my brother. I had just gotten superbligged out, and I let this financial advisor in that had an appointment with my brother and his wife. I was so wunked out that i didn't even turn the music down when i let him in and offered him a seat in the same living-room that was blaring. My brother was running late, so when he came home a few minutes later with a shocked look on his face from my oblivious blazed behaviour, he asked how this dude was doing, to which he replied in a loud voice, "Fine. We're jammin' in hear!". Maybe you had to be there.....

No comments:

Post a Comment