Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Death at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin 11/7/09

I saw a lot of acts over the weekend. Some bands that i had seen before met my expectations like GZA(wait, he totally exceeded my expectations) and Melt Banana. Some other acts bored me to death (no pun intended) like Crystal Antlers, and i had to sit through a few WHY? songs again, ugh. I even got some (poppier) punk in like Face to Face, (old school) Youth Brigade and Fucked Up (maybe if i was fucked up i would've enjoyed them). I could hear Danzig's performance while watching the Whitest Kids You Know. I saw (and wanted to dance to)Vega and Neon Indian. I skipped out on Crystal Castles but heard from a well known devil's advocate that "hey, their show was really good". Unfortunately, I had to miss HEALTH to catch Mission of Burma (duh). I had never heard Broadcast before and they did something for me. I was curious about Neurot's Red Sparrows and thought they sounded heavy and good. Times New Vikings sounded raw just like they did last time i watched them play at the much more intimate Strawberry Fields in Denton. Saturday night's closers, the Jesus Lizard, killed it in front of an excited crowd. Their extended encore was fucking amazing.

As bummed as i was about not being able to see Flipper, i got the pleasant surprise (and my mind got blown) by an unexpected band that i didn't even realize was playing: legendary Detroit proto-punkers Death ( not to be confused with the legendary death metal act, Death).

Some of my friends had told me about them, but their music had never actually made it to my ears. What a blast these brothers were to see live. Their set started at dusk and they appeared on stage in secret society-like robes. As soon as they disrobed and started rocking, one could tell that they shared the spirit of fellow motor city rockers MC5 and the Stooges but managed to have more soul and technical prowess. Not that those other 2 renowned acts couldn't play (Wayne Kramer is fucking amazing and so is Ron Asheton R.I.P.) , they're just not black so they have a handicap, comparatively speaking.

I was intrigued to read that "the trio started out as an R&B band but switched to rock after seeing an Alice Cooper show." SICK!

These guys were definitely one of the major highlights of the weekend for me (and at least one other person i know). After i see how much money i have left over from a long overdue breakjob, I'm gonna order their re-released album ...For the World to See ASAP from Drag City.

No comments:

Post a Comment