Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Mission of Burma-"This is Not a Photograph" (1980)

Next on my list of legendary and influential bands to see at the aforementioned Fun Fun Fun Fest is Boston's Mission of Burma. I missed these guys a few years ago when they played nearby Austin, TX because i had to work an overnight shift on a Friday night, and i have always regretted it.

[Let me go ahead and mention that i have a good friend (like a brother, really) that tried to introduce me to MOB by letting me borrow a couple of their CDs around 2001 . I hate to admit that i regrettably did NOT listen to these CDs (probably because i was a younger, more arrogant asshole/douche and this was an unsolicited move on his part). Anyways, he always holds this over my head, but i think i should at least get points for admitting to him that i didn't even listen to them. AND, hey- i didn't ask to borrow them. I ended up getting down to them later anyways. It was inevitable.]

I thought it was great how Signals, Calls & Marches predated a lot of similar sounding current music i was listening to (i.e. Sonic Youth and Trail of Dead). Once i really started enjoying that EP i could NOT stop listening to it. Martin Swoop's tape manipulation/operation adds such textured layer of sound. (I understand that Bob Weston of Shellac has taken over the tape-op role in the band since their reunion.) Peter Prescott's drumming is so tight, and their racket always sounds so controlled that i can't wait to see what they can do live.


In addition to never seeing these post-punkers perform live, I still haven't even seen the 2006 documentary Not a Photograph: The Mission of Burma Story. I need a Netflix account. (I can only watch this stack of DePalma movies so many times....). Seeing these dudes live (i'm sure) will prove to be a much better use of my (limited) free time. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment